OVERWHELMED!

September 6, 2007

Kim R, Jane and Elizabeth asked me if I would like to have a small dinner before I left.  I was game…Hey I needed to eat.  What I didn’t expect was just how overwhelming the evening would be.

My friends new and old came out for the evening.  I can’t even begin to express my gratitude to everyone that has supported me in support of my dream.   I now know how Oscar acceptance speeches can get to be so long.  There are so many people that I would have to thank if I started to list names, so instead I want to express a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me.  If you are wondering “Does she mean me?”  The answer would be a resounding “YES YOU!!!”  From words of encouragement, to advice, to care packages, to monetary donations, to evening dinners, to sending out my blog…the list goes on and on.

Driving home for dinner I was overwhelmed to tears with all the support.  Know that you all will buoy me during my swim.  I have a friend with whom we have come to know each other so well that we say we have a virtual image of that person in our minds.  Each of you now has a virtual image within me (an avatar if you will).   I hear your voices in my head cheering me on, offering words of encouragement, and some great jokes.   With every beat of my heart I hear a collective voice saying “GO!”   Whether you all like it or not your virtual images are going swimming, so you better suit up!

There will never be a way for me to repay all of the kindness I have received.  My only hope is that I can make you all proud and happy knowing that you all made it possible.

Pictures from the evening – It seems that strange headware was the choice gift of the evening.  And yes I’m bringing it to England, it will give my crew something to wear during the long swim.

The GroupThe Group

The Hace FamilyThe Radcliffs

Shark HatThe Shark Hat

The Flowered Cap

The Cake

Tags:

6 Responses to “OVERWHELMED!”

1. mom says:

Time has come. Board the plane.

My friend, Gretchen, gave me this quote. It is meaningful to me and I hope for you as well.

“Until one is committed there is hesitancy,
    the chance to draw back,
    always ineffectiveness.

Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation)
    there is one elementary truth,
    the ignorance of which kills countless ideas
    and splendid plans:
    that the moment one definitely commits oneself,
    then Providence moves too.
    all sorts of things occur to help one
    that would otherwise never have occurred.
    A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
    Raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen
    Incidents and meetings
    And material assistance,
    Which no person could have dreamt
    Would have come her way.
    I have learned a deep respect
    For one of Goethe’s couplets:
    ‘Whatever you can do, or dream you can- begin it
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.’”

W.N.Murray
    The Scottish Himalayan Expedition

Look at all that you have gained already in relationships and associations. You are a great success. Now, go swim! You have already made us proud.

2. Tricia says:

Wish I could have been there to help send you off! Just know that we are thinking of you here in MN. And just to give you a fun image, Kathleen just wrapped up her first round of swimming lessons and she’s already a little daredevil in the water, you are going to love it! We can’t wait to hear all about your experience and we are wishing you all the best!!! Love, Tricia, Ken, Kathleen and Michael

3. Shannon says:

Michelle,

You’ve been such a source of inspiration, education and all out fun! It’s been absolutley great to follow you through your blog. Thank you for letting us all be even a small part of it!

You’ve been the talk of the locker room the last few days here in Alaska and you know that the talks that go on in the women’s locker room after practcie are unlike any other talking that goes on! (Sorry Men, you miss out on this one!) We are all here 100% behind you and will be cheering you on and sending all positive thoughts across the ocean. Stay tough, we’re proud of you!

Shannon

4. Cara says:

Michelle,
    Your pack of girls over here in Minnesota is incredibly proud of you. Not many have the courage to actually live out one of their dreams. I am so happy that you have found your “calling” and that you have such a wonderful group of people who provide friendship, support, inspiration, and push to help you on this quest. Know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers over these next couple of weeks for your continued strength, health, inspiration, determination, and guts. We love you!

5. Pat Brown says:

Hey darling…I couldn’t be more proud of you. I do wish I could be there with you in person to cheer you on and do whatever I could to ensure your success. I know that you don’t need me, you will be great…My prayers continue to envelope you and guard you through out this venture. Love you soooooo much.

Pat Brown

6. Pat says:

Hey! you don’t need to post this, but I want to tell you that I love you.

I think about you daily in your daily regiment and this chase you are about to accomplish. I’m jealous, envious and proud all at the same time. I’m jealous b/c I know I can’t do this and envious for the same reason… I lack your determination and will power. I’m proud to be your brother.

Just know that I’m thinking of you often and do not doubt your efforts and determination…

Love