Phone call with Reg

September 16, 2007

So I’ve become somewhat of a meteorologist and a very bad one at that.  I’ve been on the website www.metcheck.com checking wind speeds, wind direction, etc for Dover.  Ideally we are hoping for winds of 10 mph or less coming from the Northwest.  This would provide a tailwind pushing me towards France.  (Note:  We are not looking for the Southeast winds, as they would be pushing me away from France and slapping me in the head with wind chop)  I would love for winds to be in the single digits.  Today, we had winds into the 20s and there were lots of white horses as they are called here (known as white caps to us in the States).  After checking metcheck for tomorrow, I noticed that the winds were only going to break to about 9 mph for about 10 hours.  Now I hope that my swim finishes in 10 to 12 hours, but I sure don’t want to be battling strong winds on the last 2 miles into France, as this is supposed to be the most challenging part of the swim due to the strong tides and failing strength of the swimmer.  Many a swim as been called within 1 mile of France due to these conditions.

In calling Reg, Jane and my thoughts were confirmed…no swim tomorrow.  When I asked Reg just when he thought it might happen, his response “I just don’t know, Love.  Call me again tomorrow at half 7.”   That is just what we will do then.

Tomorrow will bring another swim in the harbor and me trying (mostly unsuccessfully) not to be a head case.  As always, I’ll keep you posted.

Thank you for all the kinds words, jokes, etc.  I have been reading each and every one of them.  If I had more time, I would reply to each of you, but instead just know that you are all in my thoughts.

And a special shout out to my nephew Alex who’s birthday is today.  I hope that you have great day and eat plenty of cake for me 🙂

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Phone call with Reg”

1. Michelle Ogden says:

Hi Sweetie,

I hope you are doing well and keepin calm, just remember that when you get to swim it will be your time and everything will be perfect!! You will do great!!!

Take care,
    Michelle

2. Katie and Alex says:

Hi Good Luck on your swim. Thanks for wishing me a happy birthday. In my last football game I got tackled really hard, and I have a bruise on my arm. My bday party is in 6 days. I love you Michelle. Alex

We are proud of you kiddo, keep your chin up. It will happen and you will do great (From Alex).

Love Alex and Katie

3. Mel Mignano says:

Hang in there! I am sure that the weather will make a turnaround and you will get a shot to get out there and show that channel a thing or two.

-Mel

4. Katie and Alex says:

Hi Michelle,
    Thank for you for the birthday wish. In my last football game I got hit really hard and got a bruise on my arm. My bday party is in 6 days and I am going Go-karting.

Hang in there Kiddo, it will happen and you will do great (from Alex) we are pulling for you.

Love; Alex and Katie

5. Hi Michelle,
    Thank you for the birthday wish. In my last football game I got hit hard and got a bruise on my arm. My birthday party is in 6 days we are going Go-Karting. I love you – Alex

Hang in there Kiddo it will happen, and you will do great (from Alex) We are pulling for you.

Love Alex and Katie

6. Sarah S says:

Did my little 1/2 hour swim today and thought of you. Sending you, your crew, and your boat prayers.

Hey, girl!

You hang tight and let Jane and your family distract you. (Jane can be very distracting.:-) I’ve got both my churchs (Green Bay and Tucson) praying for your successful completion and I’ve got you on every prayer list I have access to. (Don’t know if you believe in prayer, but I don’t think it matters cause if God’s not listening the universe is and it sends out great karma into the atmosphere. So, feel the karma comin’ your way. Feel the love.
    May the force be with you!
    love,
    Joan
    (Jane’s mom)

8. Dave and Nancy says:

Hi Michelle,
    Our prayers are going and our fingers are crossed for good weather and a favorable wind. In regards to your recent comment -“I’m no Thoroughbred, more of a Clydesdale. Where I lack in speed, I’ve got the endurance!” Remember I have seen you swim many times and you have endurance SPEED. You can hold a pace and keep holding that pace. I saw you do it in Federal Way. You are just the right type THOROUGBRED for the channel. You are going to amazed old Reg with your swimming. I found the channel website and I am ready to watch the Viking Princess. But Nancy and I want you to know that our “Princess” will be in the water swimming. “Just keep chugging”.
    Dave and Nancy